Thread: Broken Xbox and saved games

Angry Broken Xbox and saved games

Ok, I am sitting at my friend's house and he is trying to fix his xbox, this is the second time that it has overheated and the cpu's heatsink burnt out somehow, causing the cpu to fry itself. We are thinking about getting another box b/c we doubt we can fix it, but he is now concerned about the saved games, I was wondering if there was anyway to transfer the files over to the new box. I was thinking about finding a program that would read the harddrive and then be able to copy them over. And if not is there a way to back up his saves? He bought a memory card, but something bad happened to that a long time ago and now refuses to get another one. Any ideas would be great.

what do you mean the heatsink burnt out? heatsinks dont burn out....they are just piece of alluminum.

if the xbox doesnt boot, you are pretty much screwed when it comes to getting your saved games. if it booted, you could copy them to memory card..but other than that, they are gone. the xbox hard drive is locked using a unique code generated by that xbox. putting it into another xbox would not work, since it couldnt unlock it. not even with a chip. you're only hope is to get the xbox to boot long enough to copy them to a memory card.

Renegade of funk

And that is correct. You won't be able to do anything unless you can get the Xbox to boot up and go to the dashboard.

Any other recovery method would require a modded Xbox, but we have a strict no modding discussion policy here at XBA.

I was reading your description of the problem and by judgement it sounds like the CPU cooked off. There is no way to repair a cooked CPU.

Well, there is a perfectly legal way to retrieve all your saved games...if you are incredibly good at soldering. If you deslolder the EEPROM chip on the Xbox motherboard and transfer it over to the other Xbox you will be able to swap the hard drive even though it is locked. It's an incredibly risky procedure though, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Renegade of funk

Quote Originally Posted by Frink
    Well, there is a perfectly legal way to retrieve all your saved games...if you are incredibly good at soldering. If you deslolder the EEPROM chip on the Xbox motherboard and transfer it over to the other Xbox you will be able to swap the hard drive even though it is locked. It's an incredibly risky procedure though, so I wouldn't recommend it.
    That has to me the most pain in the ass way I've seen.

Release The First Skill Shadow20002's Avatar

Wow, you must be playing it all days long.
    Back into the world of gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer-XBA
    That has to me the most pain in the ass way I've seen.
    If your mobo is fried to the point of not booting, and you want to keep your hard drive, it's the only choice.

yeah..that is the only way..even if you put the drive in a modded xbox, it still wouldnt be able to unlock it. the only known method is to swap that chip (which is very dangerous..and will probably result in the death of the new xbox as well)

there is a possibility that you could send it to MS and they may be able to salvage it..but i dont know.

Modder Elite

he probably didnt fry the cpu, more likely is the MCPX, which has no HSF at all... its very possible, to remove the eeprom chip, and it wouldnt very dangerous, atleast, to someone that knew what they were doing anyway...
    Abit NF7-S, Mobile 2400+ (2.25@1.625v), 1gb Corsair Ram, 9800 Pro 128mb, 36gb Raptor, 250gb IDE, 48x LiteOn, 8x LiteOn DVD+-RW, 480 Watt Antec, Full Tower Case, Blue Lights all over

Emachines M6805, A64 3000+, 512 PC2700, 15.4" WS, 60gb 5400 RPM, Blue LEDs all over

XBox 1.0, Samsung SDG-605, SmartXX 3325, 160gb Seagate, Blue LEDs all over, about to paint, and clear jewel

I like blue

around from time to time CMX Jedi's Avatar

is it possible to put the hard drive in your computer than transfer the saved games to a memory card useing AR?

no. the hard drive is locked. even if it wasnt, it uses a different format, that your PC wont be able to read.

you are pretty much screwed

around from time to time CMX Jedi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by severd hed
    no. the hard drive is locked. even if it wasnt, it uses a different format, that your PC wont be able to read.

you are pretty much screwed
    than he is screwed

Renegade of funk

Don't lean this thread towards a modding discussion. We don't tolerate that here. We can not allow modding discussions at this site so watch what you are saying in regards to this situation.

im not trying to turn it into a modding discussion. i was just saying thatthere really isnt a solutin and even modding wont solve this problem

Braap*Changes gear*Braaap Dirtbike's Avatar

if i were u i would just swap eeprom chips and if u mess up the new xbox just go take it back. if u mess up the old, then it was screwed anyway and worth a try
    GO MY LAMB CLAN BUDDIES!!!!!!

Hidden Content

Renegade of funk

But the problem is that now we've gone into chip swapping and all that.
    This is what I was trying to avoid.

Thread Information