Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Customizing your X-Box

Darkness is Inevitable TRSundown's Avatar

Default Customizing your X-Box

Hey Everyone...

Are adding light affects to an XBox hard to do?

Any recommendations on a wireless system to use?

Thanks everyone.

TRSundown
    Last edited by TRSundown; 03-29-2005 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TRSundown
    Hey Everyone...

I am new to the XBox world. Just bought mine off e-Bay. I have been browsing the internet at different XBox mods and have a few questions.

What kind of mods can you do that are legitimate and will not prevent you from playing LIVE i.e. HDD upgrade??? I just want to get the most out of my XBox and I have heard that most mods will kill your ability to play online.

Are adding light affects to an XBox hard to do?

Any recommendations on a wireless system to use?

Thanks everyone.

TRSundown
    No talking about mod mod chips here but all external stuff is ok. Welcome to the xba.

Yeah... I dont want to do any kind of mod chips... I just want to upgrade the HDD and DVD drive to something bigger and better... Does Microsoft have any approved upgrades?

Inb4tlok!!!!!!!!

Why would you need a larger HDD??? That's mod talk, which is NOT allowed!
    Furthermore, if you're only doing legitimate things, i.e. no modding, then you have no use for a larger HDD.
    Last edited by CRAYMAN; 03-29-2005 at 12:48 PM.

Dude... I just got my XBox... I dont know much about the XBox world... I didnt know if there was a Microsoft approved upgrade or not... I figured this would be a good place to ask... Gezz... read the post.

BUT forget it... ITS OBVIOUS THAT THIS TOPIC IS BORDERLINE NOT ALLOWED AND MOST PEOPLE WILL PROBABLY SEE IT AS BREAKING THE RULES SO JUST FORGET IT...

I will look somewhere else for my info.

do that n00b keep that attidude you wont be getting no help from noone crayman was pointing a point not pointing his middel finger n00b.

xbAWOL

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud Wolf
    do that n00b keep that attidude you wont be getting no help from noone crayman was pointing a point not pointing his middel finger n00b.
    You are one to talk.

What? Shut up.
    RIP Dave

I was telling him straight!

Ok ok... Lets just end this thread... I am editing out the original contents of my post..

I was telling him straight!
    i pray for the day you read "banned"
    Hidden Content
    props (not propellers) to thecovenant for the sig

maybe I should but I broken no rules.

Another post like your first one up there and you will be.
    RIP Dave

TRS there is really no point in modding your xbox unless you want to do something to the outside. If you are interested in modding I would go to a site that does xbox mods such as www.xbox-scene.com

until then. . . . . . .

Sit down and Shut up!!!!! CharlieHustle's Avatar

wait a min... what did cloud wolf do??? He was tellin him str8 up. no mod talk. obviously the noob didnt want to get it. Also if you are new to the xbox, im more than sure you didnt just heard of the xbox about a month ago. so dont pretend that this is a new console. So dont beat around the bush about modding an xbox. we dont discuss that here, and goto google and search for boards that will discuss it here. i feel ya cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieHustle
    wait a min... what did cloud wolf do??? He was tellin him str8 up. no mod talk. obviously the noob didnt want to get it. Also if you are new to the xbox, im more than sure you didnt just heard of the xbox about a month ago. so dont pretend that this is a new console. So dont beat around the bush about modding an xbox. we dont discuss that here, and goto google and search for boards that will discuss it here. i feel ya cloud.
    Well lets see, he came in and acted like a huge prick to the guy. He was askin if they were any approved mods to make to his Xbox, upgrading the HDD and DVD drive, NOT about mod chips, and even when he was told ALL talks of internal mods were against the rules he said he'd drop the subject. Then in comes Cloud, spewing trash from his mouth and using the word "noob" in a very insultful way. He never said he didnt hear about the Xbox, just that he was new to the console, meaning, its his first one! So what? Again, once he was told ALL internal mod talks are a no no, he dropped it. So pull your nose outta Cloud's ass.
    Hidden Content
    Props for the sweet sig to xbocks.

Put a spoiler on your xbox, then you'll be the envy of everyone cause you got a leet modded box.
    Executive Editor
    Xboxaddict.com

Renegade of funk

OK.. Start over and we'll skip piracy and mod chips.

Ok I have two Xboxes. A Halo Edition Xbox for all my Live needs and a launch era Xbox that was messing up really bad. I decided not to throw it away or spend the money to have it fixed since it was out of warranty. I decided to play with it and see what can be done.

It is relatively easy to add lights and fans to your Xbox. It's pretty easy to do anything to your Xbox in terms of external modification as long as you have the proper tools, balls of steel, plenty of beer and some working knowledge of how your everyday PC works. It only got a little shaky when I had to solder something, but I read up on it and practiced on some extra wire I had lying around.
    So in the end result,
    I removed the stock case fan and added my own Thermal Take 80mm case fan that adjusts speeds by way of a thermal diode. This took a bit of fabricating to make it work. I have a dremel tool, so I had to some fab work to the DVD and HDD caddy, the outter back shell of the Xbox and I had to do some monster garaging to the fan body to make it fit nice and tight and not fall out.

I cut the jewel off my upper lid, discarding the heat shield. I had to use a heat gun to make the plastic soft, use an exacto knife to cut a ring out beneath the jewel so that light would shine through. It was a little tricky because the heat gun can warp the lid, so I had to be sober and careful. I took the jewel and dipper a rag in paint thinner and cleaned the green paint off the bottom of the jewel, leaving the silver "XBOX" lettering intact. Then I glued it back to the lid with superglue.

I bought an orange cold cathode tubed 80mm case fan and removed the cathode tube from the fan and carefully glued the ring to the underside of the lid around the hole I cut in the lid. The CC-tube had some nice little points to use for gluing.
    I wired the tube to it's inverter and stuffed the inverter box down behind the hard drive since it seemed to fit there. I piggy backed the 4 pin molex power connector off the hard drive, which was piggy backed off the case fan.

About the hard drive. Well, I'm not going there. There isn't a mod chip in there either. But we won't discuss the actual hard drive.

But while I'm talking about the hard drive, what I will mention is that I bought a resistor, a green LED, some wires and soldered it all together and then soldered my circuit to 2 specific pin terminators on the IDE connector of the hard drive. Now I have a HDD activity LED on my Xbox. I took my dremel and drilled a hole in the lid of the Xbox and pushed the LED through.

I took the GPU and CPU heat sinks off and cleaned off the bubble gum heat paste that MS puts on with alcohol and cue tips. I applied Artic Silver 5 instead. I changed out the GPU tiny fan with another one that I had lying around that seemed to blow faster when I tested them out side by side. I had to use oversized screws and forced them into the heat dissapater fins to make it hold.

I found some electro luminence tape on sale at Microcenter. It was glows green when powered and applies like duct tape. I ran the tape around the base of the xbox on the outside so it looks like ground effects. I had to snip one end and run the wires through the rear vents and piggy back off the inverter.

Finally, one of the perks of being staff here was that we all got Xbox Addict skins for our Xboxes. I put that on.

That's pretty much all I've done to it. I buy my games and play them on the Halo Xbox and I was using the Monster-Box to watch music videos, play MAME games and do other weird stuff with. I eventually gave the project Xbox to my brother since he wanted an Xbox. He knows what it can do, however he buys games and plays it. The only thing he doesn't do is go on Live, but he said he has no desire to do that since he has a nice computer.

I enjoyed messing with my Xbox. I'd mess with this one right here, but I like playing on Live too much. It's my damn business anyway. I could go and buy an Xbox and throw it directly in a dumpster if I wanted to, they got my money. I'm not pirating their games, I still buy retail games, I still buy retail CD's, I still see movies in a theater.
    Anyway, I wanted work on something.

Any pics of that second one Rec?
    Executive Editor
    Xboxaddict.com

Thread Information