Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am totally confused.

Exclamation I am totally confused.

Alright people were saying that they had a Halo tourny. But X-box hasnt gone online yet. So are you still capable of playing agenst each other? Im so confused.

THE REAL BOSS

Yes, through your computer.

go to www.gamespy.com look for the gamespy tunnel, hook your xbox to a network switch or hub and play away.

Can I just hook my internet cord into my x-box? Or do i need something else. I`m really dumb at this kinda stuff. And I have a 56K. Will that be fast enough to operate this?

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

Fear...this is what you have to do:

Requirements: Broadband connection (Cable, DSL, etc)
    10/100 HUB or Switch
    3 standard CAT 5 cables (not crossovers)
    Gamespy Arcade Software (Free download from www.gamespy.com)
    Gamespy Tunnel Software (Also a Free download from the same site)

This is how you hook it up:

Take the HUB (or Switch) and connect the first CAT 5 wire into the uplink port and connect the other end to the Broadband modem.

Secondly, take a second CAT 5 cable, connect it to Port 1 (technically, it can be any port, but, I will use port 1 as an example) and connect the other end into your CPU's Ethernet port (this is the only input that a CAT 5 cable can plug into)

Finally, connect a third CAT 5 cable into Port 2 on the Hub (or Switch) and the other end to the back of the XBox. A green LED light will appear to show that the XBox is receiving a connection.

Keep in mind that you treat Gamespy as if you were playing a System Link game (a LAN with multiple XBoxes - up to four in total).

If you have the requirements above, I strongly recommend getting on-line! I have 10 games and 9 of them are shelved because I'm playing Halo on-line! It's bad ass!

Max you just wasted your breath. He said he's on 56k. No can do with 56K.

R.I.P.DZ
    Hidden Content

waximus, you have got to be the most helpful dude I have ever known in a forum board,..(and your not even a XBA staff moderator!). now true this is my first one that I have stayed in for over a week into signing up, but you are truly a special dude man, I mean .. you just dont know the impact you have in this forum, it's because of you im still here today!
    Now dont get all mussy and stuff maxi-pad-imus, im just keeping it real kid!
    Continue doing what you do, your help to others is noticed in my eyes bro! ......I mean sunshine!

Okay, enough of this ... im starting to look soft now!

Originally posted by JJaX
    Yeah...he posted that at the same time I posted my message. But, maybe it will get him to get a broadband connection. I need more bodies to kill

Originally posted by Ninja Scroll
    waximus, you have got to be the most helpful dude I have ever known in a forum board,..(and your not even a XBA staff moderator!). now true this is my first one that I have stayed in for over a week into signing up, but you are truly a special dude man, I mean .. you just dont know the impact you have in this forum, it's because of you im still here today!
    Now dont get all mussy and stuff maxi-pad-imus, im just keeping it real kid!
    Continue doing what you do, your help to others is noticed in my eyes bro! ......I mean sunshine!

Okay, enough of this ... im starting to look soft now!

Hey, dude...it's all good...I see that you are kinda in a mushy mood due to the fact that it's valentines day and the day after you have been watching back to back episodes of Snow White and Jungle Book will always do it to ya hehe

Default WHAT!

Originally posted by Maximus

Hey, dude...it's all good...I see that you are kinda in a mushy mood due to the fact that it's valentines day and the day after you have been watching back to back episodes of Snow White and Jungle Book will always do it to ya hehe
    See, see what I get! True doe, it is Valentines day waxy. So what you doing for my wife out in Seattle today?
    And to correct your candy ass maxy, I cant watch Snow Wiiziieet because of the Xbox DVD Disney problems, and I have yet to take the wrapping off of da Jungle Book yet, but when I do, your monkey ass will be the first to know!

Default any way with usb dsl modem?

Hey , is there anyway to do the online halo thing with a usb dsl modem? Im getting dsl with a usb modem and wanted to know.

THE REAL BOSS

Originally posted by JJaX
    He can do it with 56k.

He just needs to share his 56k line with ICS and dial up from his computer. Hook up a hub or switch, to his computer and connect the xbox to the hub or switch. The xbox only sees a LAN connection with internet connectivity it doesnt know if its 56k or Broadband.

THE REAL BOSS

Default Re: any way with usb dsl modem?

Originally posted by thunderkiss2k1
    Hey , is there anyway to do the online halo thing with a usb dsl modem? Im getting dsl with a usb modem and wanted to know.
    Yes, hook the usb upto your main computer install another NIC card hook it upto a switch or Hub and share your USB connected Broadband connection with ICS. The usb connection gives you the same type of protocol interface as a NIC card, It looks the same.

Default Re: WHAT!

Originally posted by Ninja Scroll

See, see what I get! True doe, it is Valentines day waxy. So what you doing for my wife out in Seattle today?
    And to correct your candy ass maxy, I cant watch Snow Wiiziieet because of the Xbox DVD Disney problems, and I have yet to take the wrapping off of da Jungle Book yet, but when I do, your monkey ass will be the first to know!
    hehe...you know you're my dawg, dude!

Originally posted by TheMentorsXbox

He can do it with 56k.

He just needs to share his 56k line with ICS and dial up from his computer. Hook up a hub or switch, to his computer and connect the xbox to the hub or switch. The xbox only sees a LAN connection with internet connectivity it doesnt know if its 56k or Broadband.
    a 56K connections would provide too much lag. I doubt it will work well.

THE REAL BOSS

a 56K connections would provide too much lag. I doubt it will work well.
    It will provide lag yes, but it will connect him to online gaming through the Xbox.

HALO even lags for Broadband. So 56k is not a good solution but it does work.

Until the MS online network comes out all connections will be laggy.

Default Re: any way with usb dsl modem?

Its will provide lag yes, but it will connect him to online gaming through the Xbox.

HALO even lags for Broadband. So 56k is not a good solution but it does work.
    Yeah, I agree. But, I'm curious, would a 56K connection have any effect on a person's ping rate?

THE REAL BOSS

Yeah, I agree. But, I'm curious, would a 56K connection have any effect on a person's ping rate?
    On the user using the 56k? or the users playing?

THE REAL BOSS

Default Re: Re: any way with usb dsl modem?

Well, I'm not sure if that would work because you actually have to connect your modem to a HUB and run it throught he HUB. Unless a HUB has a USB connection, then, I don't think it will work. But, then again...I am relatively novice when it comes to computer networking.

U dont have to actually hook the modem upto the hub or switch, if your sharing a connection through ICS and installing a secondary NIC card on the same PC that acts as the network connection to the hub or switch. Using ICS to share makes his connection public to the rest of the network. So if you plug into a hub or switch there will be internet connectivity throughout.

On the user using the 56k? or the users playing?
    Man, you must be here at the same time! lol You're replies are fast!

Well, I guess it would depend. If the User of the 56K connection is hosting a game, of course, there would be no ping rate. But, in the case of hosting a game, would other users have a really high ping rate?

The other situation is if the 56K user was to join a game. Would that person have an exceptionally high ping because of their connection?

Like I said, I'm somewhat of a networking novice. Just seeing if you can shed some light on this for me

Thread Information