View Poll Results: If the XBA TOP 100 Accurate?

Voters
90. This poll is closed
  • Yes.

32 35.56%
  • No.

34 37.78%
  • Not Sure.

24 26.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TOP 100 Chart

Thumbs up TOP 100 Chart

Small poll to help us gauge if our Top 100 Chart is truly accurate!

While I think having a top 100 is a good idea, I don't find it to be very accurate when a game like Soccer Slam (4 reviews averaging 4.500) is rated slightly higher than HTR (161 reviews averaging 4.488). I recommend that you consider raising the minimum number of reviews before a game can be included in the top 100.

Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by SkoalMint; 12-05-2002 at 07:49 AM.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Thanks to AloneInTheDark for the Sig
    Hidden Content
    ESPN NFL VIP Team - Texans

bust a nut

i'd say its very accurate. i just look at the reviews from the ppl i know and if they say the game is great, i may get it if i am interested in it. its just what i feel. but for all the games i have, they are in the top 20

i belive u just gotta know some good members here that u can trust them on their reviews.

Soldier of the Wasteland EHWfedPres's Avatar

I think alot of games are overrated...like Timesplitters 2, Amped, Project Gotham, FIFA Soccer, Rallisport, etc. At least some good games are ranked high like Quantum Redshift and Deathrow.

I do think some games have too high of a rating but it is pretty good. Still doesn't pursue wheter I buy a game or not.
    Now Playing
    Star Ocean: TLH (360) | Killzone 2 (PS3) | Star Ocean: FD (PSP)

I said no. There are a ton of games on that list that should be brought closer to first. For sure "NO".

Pretty accurate, the best XBOX games are way up there.

Flushing the Ducts evil xbox king's Avatar

Default NO!!!!!

No, in some cases it isn't accurate. I have seen occasions when somebody 'reviewed' a game and gave it a 1 just so games that are rated higher than their favourite is brought down. I saw it happen with "The Thing" when a person rated it a one, repeatedly saying that 'it wasn't as good as Halo and should not be above Halo in the XBA ratings list'. Eventually, The Thing was brought down, and Halo resides above every other Xbox game (Splinter Cell not withstanding). I still find it a small shame that only one game has been better than a launch title, even though Halo is such a kick-ass game.
    Poor Delta...I hope she gets better quickly.

Thumbs down

The ratings seem close, but people don't rate the games fairly. As some one else pointed out, FanBoys will rate a game a 1 (e.g. Soul Caliber's excitement ratings) b/c they like another game better and want to see "their game" win. Also, people are stupid: one guy rated Halo the default 2.5 for everything, but all he had to say was "Buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"-- that sounds like a game he'd want to rate 4+ to me. Then you have the 20+ ratings versus the amped 6+ hour ratings.

Splinter Cell has so many annoyances it's not funny-- it's still a fun game, but hardly worth a 5 (it's a 4 in my book); however, it's loaded w/ fluff so people will initially rate it higher until they realize that Sam is a wuss who can only grapple from behind and can't shoot for crap. Plus other BS that causes me to reload more than should be needed.
    - SaintHax +=<:-)

Post P.S.

I forgot: then there are the idiots who rate a game a 1 b/c "I don't like sport games", or "I don't want another FPS". If you don't like the genre, then don't rate the game. DUH!
    - SaintHax +=<:-)

Craziest Mofo in the XBA Crazy Joe's Avatar

this statement kind of confused me:

A minimum of two(4) reviews are required to enter charts.

so is it a minimum of 2 or 4 reviews?

anyway, the list looks pretty fair, there are no horrible games that i could see in it.

Cool Any ideas?

ok, i'd like to get a few ideas/suggestion on what we could to make more accurate. We'll aim to please. (-: Keep the feedback comin'

There is one big problem with the current system. The reason that some games are ranked so high is that only the people who like them take the time to write the reviews on them (for the majority). I would like to see two ratings. A "Official XboxAddict Score" and a "User Score" (or something like that). This way you have one biased opinion with some inciteful comments of course. And you also have a, hopefully, unbiased opinion on the part of the staff. The only problem I see with this is that the staff may not have the resources (time, money,etc) to review all the games.

It's pretty accurate and more accurate than other sites. But the minimum number of reviews for the TOP 100 Chart should be 10 or more. I hate it when Halo drops down to 4th or 5th place.

Wondering Around

minimum number of votes required: 20

OR

actual ranking based on a weighted number... those with more reviews have a higher weight than those with fewer reviews so if one game has 10 votes but each one is solid 5's all the way across, it wont be "top game" because its weighted score is a little less than the game with 200 votes but a 4.8 average.

Originally posted by XBOXMIKE

Reviewers ratein....realiable ,not so realiable, what?etc...

I like that idea if what you're saying is that other users get the chance rate certain reviewers creating a "Reviewing Rate".

I'll second Mike's idea.

i think bad reviews (not a reviewer giving a low score, but a reviewer who does not back up his ideas, or one who obviously isn't reviewing a game how it should be reviewed) should be deleted so the ones that are left can help someone who looks at reviews to buy a game.

also if there was a way to rank a reviewer on how good of reviews he gives, it would be helpful, then somehow incorporate that into the overall rating of the game, say a reviewer who doesnt give good reviews doesnt count as much for the overall rating of the game. if someone with a good review record gives the game a good rating, then it should count more towards the overall rating.

that was kinda hard to explain what i was thinking, so if your confused i can try and clear it up a little more.
    Hidden Content

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, "Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?" Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others" - Nelson Mandela

The top ten list is accurate except for fifa soccor 2003 and MGS2 Substance needs to be way higher and Sega Soccor Slam Number #11.
    Games I Need: Fable, Halo 2, Hitman 3, Doom 3, Half Life 2,

How about instead of a rating out of 5, why not 10? That way, you'll get a better average than having them all around 4.52 and stuff.

Also, a person should not be allowed to just give it all 1's to screw with it, that's just unprofessional.

Member on the run

Originally posted by casper
    Also, a person should not be allowed to just give it all 1's to screw with it, that's just unprofessional.
    You do realize, you're talkin' about fanboys now right?

Thread Information