Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Bought Blizzard??

Default Microsoft Bought Blizzard??

EDIT:
    Sources:
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com...news_story.php(que)id=85976
    http://www.ve3d.com/Comments.aspx?ID=2217&contenttype=1

If insider speculation is to be believed, Microsoft has bought US publisher Vivendi, with an announcement to that effect due soon. Take a deep breath and reflect on the implications of that, if true.

Half-Life 2, WarCraft, StarCraft, Diablo, Counter-Strike, Crash, Spyro, Lord of the Rings... Vivendi has an enormous portfolio boasting some of the biggest titles on all formats, and it would be an ultra-smart move on Microsoft's part to snap them up. Such a buyout, of course, would come at a terrifically high price, making the 365 million acquisition of Rare look like peanuts. But if anyone has the necessary funds, it's Microsoft.

Rumours regarding potential buyout targets for Microsoft are nothing new, of course, and have been spreading for months, with the likes of Sega and Capcom both mentioned in dispatches. However, talk of the Microsoft/Vivendi deal seems far more serious, with one insider suggesting the buyout could be confirmed as early as Friday.

Furthermore, an email from Universal was accidentally sent out to developers last week stating that all work on GBA titles should be suspended. The email was promptly recalled and branded an error, but could it be that this was in some way tied in with this alleged deal?

A Microsoft spokesperson would only state: "This is a rumour and we do not comment on rumours."

If the rumours prove true, this will be a huge boost for Microsoft's soaring Xbox console, providing it with a broad spectrum of big-name games that would either appear as Xbox lead or as Xbox exclusives outright.
    Last edited by wweomaniac; 01-23-2003 at 06:02 PM.

Member on the run

Hmm...Either people are ignoring this as just another rumor, or people just don't care about vivendi. I personally don't know, it could be good if it's true, but I'll definetly be snoozin' till something concrete is announced.

There trying to take over the world .. Run for the hills .
    Scared ? You will be.

Originally posted by Insane Jester
    There trying to take over the world .. Run for the hills .
    Sooner or later, they'll be buying your local barber shops!!!!!!!

Official Hitman of XBA Hitman101's Avatar

No Microsoft did not buy Blizzard.
    Hidden Content

THE HITMAN IS BACK !!!! Yet again !!!

Originally posted by Hitman101
    No Microsoft did not buy Blizzard.
    check out this link from a somewhat trusted source.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...n.php?id=85976

this website is pretty big in terms of providing all the news on all three consoles.

Member on the run

I have to sign up to see that, can you tell us what it says?

Originally posted by rudedogX
    I have to sign up to see that, can you tell us what it says?
    tells exactly what it says on my first post.

You have to sign up? I didn't have to sign up... oh well.

wweomaniac
    Sooner or later, they'll be buying your local barber shops!!!!!!!
    With the state of my hair i think they may have already ...
    Scared ? You will be.

I hope they did. and start making diablo/WC/half life and otherr great games of rthe xbox
    Hidden Content

All your ATV needs fulfilled here

Official Hitman of XBA Hitman101's Avatar

Wow !!! Maybe they did this willl be great for my sweet Xbox.
    Hidden Content

THE HITMAN IS BACK !!!! Yet again !!!

I'm in 75% belief of this.

I never believed the Capcom rumors... and they were spread way more than this one.
    I sort of believed the Sega rumors, because IGN was the first to mention it, but not as much as this one.
    I don't think the nintendo rumor is ever going to happen.

Xba's Official Hierarch TheCovenant's Avatar

whoa.

vivendi universal, huh?

well. they are a publisher, so that doesnt mean we would get exclusivity, probably only ports.IMO.

and as for two sites already saying the same thing, this one may actually be believable..........
    Don't RTFM me! I already RTFMed, okay!

I hope this is true, I'd kill for Warcraft on the xbox.
    But only time will tell.........

Why is Microsoft buying Vivendi/Blizzard? Rareware was a decent buy, but if they are serious about taking over the video game industry, why wouldn't you go with much bigger names? Capcom anyone? Sega, Squaresoft, Enix, (Xbox needs serious RPGs lets be honest, Morrowind has the most boring fight sequence in video game history) Midway, or Rockstar (whom I do not like anymore)? I am for M$ buying out all the video game industries because it would make sure exclusives goto Xbox, and the other systems die, which means only 1 console to buy! Seriously though, I never like Vivendi/Blizzard alot, get Sega, or Capcom someone with more than 2 good games.

Release The First Skill Shadow20002's Avatar

If Microsoft acquire this one....what i can say about is they have just build a bridge to transfer the coolest games to the X. Anyone Diablo 3 ?
    Back into the world of gaming.

ack. I hate Diablo 3. There are way too many nerds playing that game. Some dude killed himself last week in hong Kong for playing the game for 8123423 hours long and having no sleep the entire week before basically.

geez.

Originally posted by wweomaniac
    ack. I hate Diablo 3. There are way too many nerds playing that game. Some dude killed himself last week in hong Kong for playing the game for 8123423 hours long and having no sleep the entire week before basically.

geez.
    I think you mean Diablo 2. Diablo 3 isn't even in development, atleast I think.
    Hidden Content
    Now Playing: Pantera - Cemetary Gates

I actually meant, I hate diablo in general.

Diablo II hasn't even been announced yet. Could be a while till it gets announced too, seeing as its been a gazillion years since star craft came otu and there are no signs of SC2.

Why would they buy Vivendi? I like their games but they aren't exactly the best games for consoles. I'd rather see them buy some well known console developers.
    Hidden Content

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, "Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?" Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others" - Nelson Mandela

Thread Information