Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Figured out how to solve game error on first gen xbox!

Default Figured out how to solve game error on first gen xbox!

Yep, I got a first gen xbox and I had all the problems with it reading disks and whatnoght. One day it would play a game, the next it wouldn't, leaving it paused would cause the game to freeze, ect...

Well, I did not take notice to it until after the warrenty went out and it took all of two years now for me to do anything about it. I usually just shrugged off it when it would mess up, and I can't count how many game experiences it ruined by messing up and having to repeat levels, but it is finally over!

I got my lazy butt up, trading the cursed thing in and bought a new one! Works like a charm! I got 100 for my xbox at eb, plus I traded it in with an off-brand controller that sucked (so now I have a new good one), traded in a gbc, and split the rest of the cost with my brother, so it only cost me like 30 bucks.

...well, thats all the rambling I wanted to put...just shareing my glee that my xbox now works!

so the secret is....buy a new one! (since I found out the repair cost is 100 dollars)
    Last edited by Spellfire; 11-20-2003 at 08:12 AM.
    Spellfire

Since the first gen boxes were faulty wouldn't MS fix it or give you a new one free.

Even though the warrenty is out, its a known problem and sometimes companies will take care of that kind of stuff.

Anyone know if that is the case or not?

not as far as I know they wouldn't
    Spellfire

Man, that stinks.

Sorry to tell you about this now, but.... I had the first gen xbox and I was in the sam spot you were. Getting frustrated but never wanted to do anything about the freezing.

So, I called up the tech support and since I never retgistered my xbox when it was released. The tech registered it over the phone and then setup a replacment for my xbox DVD drive.

They sent me a box to put the xbox in with a return label for postage. I sent it in and in 3 days I had my xbox back and haven't had a single freeze since. Plus they cleaned my case, every inch of it!!!

Anyway, just another side to this story not all hope is lost.

molastik is right. I know they were doing this, though I doubt they are now, but it's worth a shot.
    RIP Dave

F.A.S.T. - The Way to Go! Caesar SYN's Avatar

If you had some kinda documentation you could push the issue with MS... and pressure them for a new drive probably w/ no problem.. but it has been a long time.. and without any kinda receipt or something showing you bought and never got "the repair" you should have

LUNCH FINISH THIS LATER...

I had a friend who had the same problem freezing , ect. he just got a 19.99 Discwasher wet/dry DVD lens cleaner , No more problems

or you could of just done the walmart trick..

You Can't F*ck With Me!!! CC-CRC's Avatar

When this happened they told me to delete everything off my Hard Drive... i lost mad creasted teams in Fever and all of my halo. But then when that didn't work i sent it in and got it back in a week and now it has never happened. the guy told me they changed the Dvd drive but he sayed he wasen't allowed to go into specifics........ this was about a year ago

Release The First Skill Shadow20002's Avatar

The case i found is even you delete everything in your Xbox will not resolve the freezing problems or DDEs. I have a first gen console Xbox, only have some few flaws about it since i bought it.
    Back into the world of gaming.

How disappointing! Based on the title, I assumed you found a way to quickly and easily repair the first gen's. But now I see that the only solution is the one that has been banging me in the head for a long time. Oh well. I've had my hopes raised only to be crushed before...lol

Default Wal-Mart

I would have just taken it back to wal-mart and said you got it as a present and didnt have the receipt and said it was defected, I bought Halo PC at best buy and it wouldnt install, so went back and got a new one and same problem, went back, and it installed, but it gave me a error about some disc problem, so i was tried of running out to best buy and went to the closer wal mart and took one of their halo pc and now everythings fine
    Games I play on XBC: Halo
    Games I play on XBL: Mechassault, Counter-Strike
    *If I steal a flag I want someone to chase me for it*

Just stay on your grind DocHoliday78's Avatar

Originally posted by OC Noob
    Since the first gen boxes were faulty wouldn't MS fix it or give you a new one free.

Even though the warrenty is out, its a known problem and sometimes companies will take care of that kind of stuff.

Anyone know if that is the case or not?
    Yup did it for me. They paid for air shipping there and back also.

Originally posted by DocHoliday78

Yup did it for me. They paid for air shipping there and back also.

Thats cool that they did that.

Anyways, to the original poster, think of it this way, you only paid $30 and didn't have to wait for it to ship there, get repaired and ship back. Thats worth a few bucks right there.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

Originally posted by Wolfboy_888
    or you could of just done the walmart trick..
    Yeah...no joke. I did that when my XBox fried!

The Heavenly Addict!!!

Default Re: Figured out how to solve game error on first gen xbox!

Originally posted by Spellfire
    Yep, I got a first gen xbox and I had all the problems with it reading disks and whatnoght. One day it would play a game, the next it wouldn't, leaving it paused would cause the game to freeze, ect...

Well, I did not take notice to it until after the warrenty went out and it took all of two years now for me to do anything about it. I usually just shrugged off it when it would mess up, and I can't count how many game experiences it ruined by messing up and having to repeat levels, but it is finally over!

I got my lazy butt up, trading the cursed thing in and bought a new one! Works like a charm! I got 100 for my xbox at eb, plus I traded it in with an off-brand controller that sucked (so now I have a new good one), traded in a gbc, and split the rest of the cost with my brother, so it only cost me like 30 bucks.

...well, thats all the rambling I wanted to put...just shareing my glee that my xbox now works!

so the secret is....buy a new one! (since I found out the repair cost is 100 dollars)

I don't care what anybody says. The first gen Xboxes were NOT faulty. I have had mine since launch and no problems. I have taken good care of mine. Alot of people think the old DVD drive was faulty but in all honesty, they changed them to cheaper ones to save money. I think the older drives were and are better. The drives are higher quality.

The original boxes weren;'t faulty, just had ****e drives in them.

Originally they had Thomson drives in, which are the ones causing the problems.
    then they moved onto a few with philips drives, and have been on samsung for a while now.

Thats where the "fault" is
    ****ers

Sit down and Shut up!!!!! CharlieHustle's Avatar

I dont know what yall are talkin about. I bought mine on the first week. and i have absolutely no problems with my xbox. I probably had a total of 5 DDE's and three games froze on me total. I play moderately, but mine work as if it is new.
    Last edited by CharlieHustle; 11-21-2003 at 06:32 PM.

Default Re: Re: Figured out how to solve game error on first gen xbox!

Originally posted by Heavens Gate

I don't care what anybody says. The first gen Xboxes were NOT faulty. I have had mine since launch and no problems. I have taken good care of mine. Alot of people think the old DVD drive was faulty but in all honesty, they changed them to cheaper ones to save money. I think the older drives were and are better. The drives are higher quality.

I agree, I only get DDE's on games that are supposed to Have DDE's Likr GTA or Morrowind (both are really huge games or on Games with allot of scratches, My copy of Halo , I let someone borrow it and it turned out he was using it at his store to charge kids to play, and well I heard and saw for myself little 6 year old's would run around with it, Just the disc no case, so I got one DDE' on it and its scratched to Hell, I looked up my box and Im suppossed to have to the 1.0 drives (thompson) I got mine May 2002

But I remember Xbox faulty rate was less than 1 percent at launch , also , I NEVER leave a disc in the tray , the manual tells you not to, I also Dust my tray and my Xbox on a regular basis , I also Don't have it confined in a small space ,

Thread Information