Thread: KOTOR voted GOTY

Default KOTOR voted GOTY

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Hobbits may rule the multiplex this year, but when it comes to the small screen, fans of video game fantasy want all Jedi, all the time.

GameSpy.com, one of the Internet's leading video game sites, on Tuesday handed its Game of the Year honor to "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic."

The role-playing game, developed by BioWare and published by LucasArts for the Xbox (news - web sites) and PC, beat out titles like "WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgamer" for the Game Boy Advance and "Beyond Good & Evil" for the top award.

Video game publishers typically use such awards for bragging rights, sometimes republishing their titles in "Game of the Year" editions.

In that way, the $10 billion domestic U.S. video game industry has taken its cue from Hollywood, where the awards season is a crucial marketing window for films.

"The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" chalked up more than $125 million in ticket sales in the United States and Canada in its first five days of release, and its release so close to the end of the year has helped garner the tale of Hobbits and elves serious Academy Awards (news - web sites) buzz.

Other top game publications are expected to soon give out their 2003 kudos, including GameSpot.com, which will name its top game of the year on Christmas day; and 1UP.com, the Web site of Ziff Davis's game magazines, which will name its winners at a ceremony in Las Vegas in early January.

Previously, football game "Madden NFL 2004" from Electronic Arts Inc. won "Game of the Year" honors at the Video Game Awards held by cable channel Spike TV.

Good game, if you haven't at least rented it yet, you're severely stupid...
    We need a love bomb, to just blow us away, to freakin' blow all the lights out, turning night to day, hear it from miles away, a chance to make it right now, f*ck what the government says,
    We gotta save some lives now, is that OK?
    Hidden Content
    [Hidden Content ][Hidden Content ][Hidden Content ][Hidden Content ][Hidden Content ]

R.I.P. DZNUTZ. One Man We'll Never Forget Hidden Content

KOTOR is a great choice for GOTY. It deserves to win it.

Loved this game. After episode 1&2, I was pissed, but this brought my faith back in Star Wars.I still dont watch Episode 1 or 2 tho
    -Welcome back

i guess i'm severely stupid i never played, rented, or even seen somebody play KOTOR... but not to worry, this is one of the must own xbox games... so there is no doubt that i will be picking up this title soon... hopefully

nice pick for the GOTY

I think this game was the best choice for GOTY. I thought it was a very good game, until I beat it, and just, HOLY CRAP! The storyline is amazing, I have to say this game has skyrocketed up my favorite games list, right up there with Halo and Crimson Skies.

Just stay on your grind DocHoliday78's Avatar

KOTOR is the only good thing to happen to the star wars franchise in a while. I voted it GOTY on ign.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

Thumbs up

If I was into RPGs, I would definately have picked it up. Way to go to Lucas Arts for actually making a solid Star Wars game. Better late than never, I guess.

i can totally belive it is GOTY but can't think of any games that eqaul up to it. Maybe final fantasy but it is released really late this year.

Originally posted by xbox genius
    i guess i'm severely stupid i never played, rented, or even seen somebody play KOTOR... but not to worry, this is one of the must own xbox games... so there is no doubt that i will be picking up this title soon... hopefully

nice pick for the GOTY
    I too must be severely stupid. Like xbox genius I never have played it. I will probably pick it up eventually but I have never been interested in Star Wars... in fact I have NEVER seen ANY Star Wars movie. RPG's arent my top choice for games but from how everyone talks about KotOR I should be able to get into it.

Where have you guys been? Why wouldnt it be nominated? It's also gonna win. (On ign.com they are voting for GOTY, vote)
    (I know thats not what your talking about though.) (I voted for KOTOR)

The 'A' is for 'go bAlls' thrAsher's Avatar

Well, that's not a big surprise. What would be a big surprise is some downloadable content.

Congrats BioWare, you guys deserve it.

Hidden Content

@~~'~~DZ~~'~~@

Even if your not a star wars fan or a big RPG gamer, try out KOTOR. I'm niether one, but I think that KOTOR is an awesome game.

Great choice. The takeover is upon us.

This is MY HOME

I played this game for a few minutes at a friends house and looked great. From what I've heard it defiently lookd like a GOTY canidate. I just have'nt picked it up yet.
    "My heart is broke, I have some glue, help me inhale, mend it with you, we'll float around,hang out on clouds, then we'll come down and have a hang over"- Kurt Cobain

KOTOR was the best game I bought over the summer. I liked it so much I got my friend a copy. One of the best games I have ever played. A deffinate much have for your Xbx collection.
    "My friend, you would not tell with such high zest - To Children ardent for some desperate glory, The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori." -Wilfred Owens (1893-1918)

It was a blind buy for me, and is this game blast to play.

Of course, I just got my XBox for Christmas so I never got a chance to play on one much. I think my wife now regrets it
    Shane
    Hidden Content
    Friend of XBA - Right Kamshaft Hidden Content

Good choice.
    Hidden Content target="_blank">Hidden Content

Put your hand on a hot stove for a min. and it feels like an hour; play a cool game for an hour and it feels like a min. Brevity's def. of relativity.

KotOR is a great choice for GOTY honors, but some other titles I would consider are Wind Waker (GCN), Viewtiful Joe (GCN) and Project Gotham Racing 2 (Xbox).
    █▀▀ ▀█▀ █▀▀ ███ █▀█ ▀█▀ █░█ █▀█ █▀▀
    ▀▀█ ░█░ █░█ █░█ █▀█ ░█░ █░█ ██▀ █▀▀
    ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀░▀ ▀░▀ ░▀░ ▀▀▀ ▀░▀ ▀▀▀

KOTOR is da bomb hizzy.

Never had that much fun before playing a RPG. Once you get 3 jedi in your part and the light sabers are going crazy...

It's like a wet dream.

Thread Information