Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I guess Xbox Next Will SUCK...

Default I guess Xbox Next Will SUCK...

http://www.xboxaddict.com/news/view.php?News_ID=5636

"The standard Xbox Next will not include a hard drive"

That's all I needed to hear. Way to take a big ****ing step backwards Microsoft!

The Golden Age of Xbox Live is now people. It won't be the same when DLC is rare and small.

It is still too early to judge, but from the inq, they mention 3 versions. Only one without a hard drive.

What worries me the most of that news is not the harddrive but the mention of a cd-burner but no mention of either of the next HD DVD formats (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray). PS3 is guaranteed to have Blu-ray which currently is the favorite to be the next standard video format. HD-DVD lost ground over the past year.

Another article, can't remember where, mentioned that IBM is providing both Sony and MS with the exact same processor. With slight differences in video chip tech, the systems will most like be near identicle in performance, so it will come down to features and games. MS seems to be on the right track with most of the features, just clarify what your disc format will be, so this could be an interesting battle. E3 2005 is going to be one heck of a show.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

I would definately pick up the HD version if this article is true. Who wouldn't?

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Oh yes, it will be here
    Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" width="468" height="60" name="xad" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

well think about how much most HD's go to waste, some people may have a lot of music, but developers seem to have forgotten that feature in their games. I've only used up a few meg for my games. To MS its probably too much money wasted on hardware.

Read on the memory devices, they are thinking of 250 meg to 1 gig flash cards I belive, or something similar, so HDs might not even be needed

If they had 50$ (CAD) memory chips of 1 gig or something, then I'd most likely go without the HD, but who knows. I guess I'll make the decision when the actual specs come out, I'm just hoping that MS's decision to come out earlier than the PS3 doesn't give us the outdated Hardware this time around *crosses fingers*
    Dr. Tran's Giving Away the Hot D*ckings!

My opinion on this is the following, It'll cost much for for Microsoft to put hard drives in all the sytems rather than the alternative. With the higher cost, the system price would follow suite, and besides, not many people actually need THAT much memory

Giggling @ A Hippopatamus

Quote Originally Posted by George89
    My opinion on this is the following, It'll cost much for for Microsoft to put hard drives in all the sytems rather than the alternative. With the higher cost, the system price would follow suite, and besides, not many people actually need THAT much memory
    I'd rather have that memory than no memory. I always thought that Sony's memory card technique was dumb.

I'm figuring that the Xbox Next, with a hard drive, and all of the rumored specs, would cost $500-$800. They're trying to make it affordable, without really downgrading anything that will hurt gameplay. I'm not sure how I feel about this yet.

what if one memory card holds whats on our HD now? I'd rather get a memory card than pay and extra 100-150 bucks

skorp

Thumbs up

That is reasonable... One system more simple and affordable... The other (HD) for people like me... And the Xbox PC for basic computer use w/ a little PC gaming for people who wants an Xbox and PC all-in-one...

Sounds awesome to me...

Xbox HD baby!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skorp
    That is reasonable... One system more simple and affordable... The other (HD) for people like me... And the Xbox PC for basic computer use w/ a little PC gaming for people who wants an Xbox and PC all-in-one...

Sounds awesome to me...

Xbox HD baby!!!
    Yes!
    I would be picking up the All-in-One PC/Xbox!!!

(HHHHHHEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYY, ONE THOUSAND POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nurb
    well think about how much most HD's go to waste, some people may have a lot of music, but developers seem to have forgotten that feature in their games. I've only used up a few meg for my games. To MS its probably too much money wasted on hardware.

Read on the memory devices, they are thinking of 250 meg to 1 gig flash cards I belive, or something similar, so HDs might not even be needed
    I think that Flash cards are the way of the future and hard-drives are one day going to be eventually old school. Good points, dude...

around from time to time CMX Jedi's Avatar

wonder how much they would cost.

Quote Originally Posted by LynxFX-XBA
    What worries me the most of that news is not the harddrive but the mention of a cd-burner but no mention of either of the next HD DVD formats (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray). PS3 is guaranteed to have Blu-ray which currently is the favorite to be the next standard video format. HD-DVD lost ground over the past year.
    Bah. HD-DVD is obviously better.

On the hard drive issue though - I'd rather have a solid state hard drive than any other type of storage.

I want them to do everything in their power to destroy Sony. It seems like a step back to me.

This is MY HOME

Quote Originally Posted by Cryogenic Pyro
    Bah. HD-DVD is obviously better.
    In what way? Prior to Sony's approval of the same codecs that HD-DVD selected, I would have agreed with you as I was rooting for HD-DVD and the DVD Forum to knock Blu-ray out of contention. But now, Blu-ray can output 1080p using WM VC-1 or MPEG-4 AVC H.264 High Profile, and is full bitrate DTS-HD as manditory. With the bitrate Blu-ray is capable of you can have MLP running 8-10 discrete channels of LPCM at upwards of 24/192 resolution which would be mindblowing in the audio department. That coupled with the vastly larger disc space, Blu-ray has the edge. You also have a much larger section of the electronic industry backing Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD. A 5 to 1 actually. Studios are also starting to choose sides. You have the obvious Sony Pictures, Columbia Tristar and the newly aquired MGM and their huge library. 20th Century Fox is on the fence but is leaning towards Blu-ray according to insiders. But most are waiting to see what consumers take to first. So that means who gets their drive in the most hands the fastest. With Dell, HP, and PS3 supporting Blu-ray you have millions of customers just waiting for the software. That is when the studios will deliver.

It would be wise for MS to either support Blu-ray or HD-DVD in the Xbox Next. They are already part of the Blu-ray spec so there would be no reason for them not to support the format. Nobody wants a format war and having the 2 largest (sorry Nintendo but you aren't in this equation anymore) console makers support one format, just like they did with DVD, will make it an easy choice for Studios and ultimately us the consumers.

So yes, in what way?
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

In what way? Prior to Sony's approval of the same codecs that HD-DVD selected, I would have agreed with you as I was rooting for HD-DVD and the DVD Forum to knock Blu-ray out of contention. But now, Blu-ray can output 1080p using WM VC-1 or MPEG-4 AVC H.264 High Profile, and is full bitrate DTS-HD as manditory. With the bitrate Blu-ray is capable of you can have MLP running 8-10 discrete channels of LPCM at upwards of 24/192 resolution which would be mindblowing in the audio department. That coupled with the vastly larger disc space, Blu-ray has the edge. You also have a much larger section of the electronic industry backing Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD. A 5 to 1 actually. Studios are also starting to choose sides. You have the obvious Sony Pictures, Columbia Tristar and the newly aquired MGM and their huge library. 20th Century Fox is on the fence but is leaning towards Blu-ray according to insiders. But most are waiting to see what consumers take to first. So that means who gets their drive in the most hands the fastest. With Dell, HP, and PS3 supporting Blu-ray you have millions of customers just waiting for the software. That is when the studios will deliver.

It would be wise for MS to either support Blu-ray or HD-DVD in the Xbox Next. They are already part of the Blu-ray spec so there would be no reason for them not to support the format. Nobody wants a format war and having the 2 largest (sorry Nintendo but you aren't in this equation anymore) console makers support one format, just like they did with DVD, will make it an easy choice for Studios and ultimately us the consumers.

So yes, in what way?
    Well, I hadn't realized that Blu-Ray supports everything that HD-DVD does and more. The last time I looked at Blu-Ray was when it was just a DVD with large storage.

The problem is that if even one verson of Xbox Next doens't have the HD dev's will have to develop for the bottom, which means that in the design of every game, they'll have to assume that there is no hard drive.

No hard drive=piece of **** console.

Lynx also made other excellent points.

Microsof better step it up or they will lose all the ground they've managed to take so far.

I definatly want to have the Harddrive!!!

The Clapper - It Works!! Salmonaitor's Avatar

So yes, in what way?
    What you said...

my head.

Bottom line is: If the next Xbox don't have harddrive or built in memory, there is no way in hell I am buying it. I'm not going back to memory cards.
    "If there is enough religion to instill war, why isn't there enough to instill tolerance?"

Thread Information