Thread: Unreal Engine 3 Gets More Foliage Support

skorp

Lightbulb Unreal Engine 3 Gets More Foliage Support

I thought this would be appropriate considering MGS (Microsoft Game Studios) will be using the UE3 for next-gen.

Interactive Data Visualization, an independent developer today announced that SpeedTreeRT, its hardware independent foliage solution, has been integrated with Epic Games’ new Unreal Engine 3.

According to IDC, Unreal Engine licensees will now have access to SpeedTreeRT’s advanced content creation options, enabling them to quickly and efficiently populate game environments with highly detailed trees and foliage.

In very technical terms, SpeedTree technology has also been integrated into the Unreal Engine’s decolayers, so forests can be painted directly onto the terrain, eliminating the need to place trees individually. Although the trees appear at unprecedented detail, thanks to the efficiency of the SpeedTree technology, any foliage will have a minimum impact on frame rates.

“Unreal Engine 3 features a number of important new features and tools, including a new material editing system that we were able to exploit with outstanding results. We were also able to take full advantage of its innovative new material editor and achieved amazing new per-pixel lighting effects,” said IDV Vice-President Michael Sechrest.

Mark Rein, Vice President of Epic Games Inc., agreed that the screenshots provide an impressive early view of the quality environments SpeedTreeRT will help build with Unreal Engine 3. “The new screen shots are a great indication of where things are heading for SpeedTreeRT’s Unreal Engine 3 integration,” Rein said. “I expect many of our licensees will want to test-drive the SpeedTreeRT’s evaluation version when it becomes available.”

Experience Gaming will have more details regarding the graphics engine as information becomes available.

Check out all the sample environments HERE.

Cool, no more 4 sided tree's hopefully.
    Executive Editor
    Xboxaddict.com

WHOOOOOW!!!! i think this is the first time in my life that id like to hump a tree!!

those are amazing! the detail! wow... can you give us a link to more of these unreal engine pics?
    Hidden Content

Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

skorp

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sam smith
    can you give us a link to more of these unreal engine pics?
    The pics are so nice, you missed the "HERE " link below my post... hehee

I can understand the distraction.

I dunno, that looks like current PC technology to me, if they want to maintain a good graphical standard to last a few years, they should aim a little higher for the system release. I'm not holding my breath until I see the final product though.

Quote Originally Posted by sam smith
    WHOOOOOW!!!! i think this is the first time in my life that id like to hump a tree!!

Sigh sam....
    Executive Editor
    Xboxaddict.com

Cool Just flat nice!

All I can say is NICE. I can't wait for some outdoor shooters. I just hope that the action is smooth. Morrowind had some neat graphics, but when it came down to your character, and the action...... well... enough said.

That third shot really shows how awesome displacement mapping looks. You could almost swear that bark is 3D...WOW

Thread Information