Thread: Putting songs on your Xbox with CD-RW?

Default Putting songs on your Xbox with CD-RW?

I reciently found out you can put your MP3's on your xbox via CD-RW's. I decided I would try it out so I bought myself some CD-RWs, converted my MP3s with WMP, and burned them to a CD. To my dismay, I get the same "Xbox does not recognise this disk" error I get with CD-R's. Can anyone tell me is there anything special I have to do to get them to work, or is there a specific brand I need? BTW I got TDK CD-RW's if that makes any difference

I use TDK CD RWs but mine work, they always worked but one time it said that the xbox couldn't recognize the cd, but then it worked afterwards, all I do is burn the music to the cd. I never converted them to wmp's though.

Originally posted by Xorg
    I use TDK CD RWs but mine work, they always worked but one time it said that the xbox couldn't recognize the cd, but then it worked afterwards, all I do is burn the music to the cd. I never converted them to wmp's though.
    They are not WMPs they are CDAs...just like a normal CD. While my case may be the same as yours, I only have 5 CD-RWs, i dont want to waste them all finding out. Anyone else know a way to fix the problem?

you cant waste cd rws, I mean they are re writeable, just erase it if it doesnt work.

Originally posted by Xorg
    you cant waste cd rws, I mean they are re writeable, just erase it if it doesnt work.
    yes, but my CD-RW drive is gay. While I can add to them and overwrite files, I cant delete them. So basically, I can replace old tracks with new tracks, but I can't take them off the disk. I dont want to dedicate them all to music if I dont have to

You have to click the 'erase re-writeable' button in your burning software. It'll be good as new.

Originally posted by Zion
    You have to click the 'erase re-writeable' button in your burning software. It'll be good as new.

I don't have burning software, I use the good ole' copy paste burning....its fast as hell.

I had a similar problem. My CD-RW would not be read by my xbox. I kept trying and it eventually worked (after the 3rd or 4th time). Im not sure how many times you tried it, but it should eventually work. Also, I used the Memorex brand.

The newer xbox CD lenses (the part of your xbox that reads CDs) can read them, but older ones cant. mine couldnt, and it was ****ed up with other **** to, so i sent it in to get the tray replaced and other **** cleaned up, and now i can burn all my mixes...

Originally posted by prakeem
    I had a similar problem. My CD-RW would not be read by my xbox. I kept trying and it eventually worked (after the 3rd or 4th time). Im not sure how many times you tried it, but it should eventually work. Also, I used the Memorex brand.

I am on my 7th try....still no luck

Originally posted by xbocks
    The newer xbox CD lenses (the part of your xbox that reads CDs) can read them, but older ones cant. mine couldnt, and it was ****ed up with other **** to, so i sent it in to get the tray replaced and other **** cleaned up, and now i can burn all my mixes...

I have only had my xbox for a bit over a year (Jan 2nd, 2003)....I think I have the new drive

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

Originally posted by Viper87227

I have only had my xbox for a bit over a year (Jan 2nd, 2003)....I think I have the new drive
    It's quite possible that MS updated the new XBoxes so they couldn't read CD-RWs... This is just a guess, though...I have never tried it personally.

If you had XBox Music Mixer, you could stream music right to your hard-drive...so, that's another solution. I have one and I think it's sweet

Originally posted by Maximus SYN

It's quite possible that MS updated the new XBoxes so they couldn't read CD-RWs... This is just a guess, though...I have never tried it personally.

If you had XBox Music Mixer, you could stream music right to your hard-drive...so, that's another solution. I have one and I think it's sweet
    That would require money that I don't have....maybe I can borrow yours

2 born killers of society Hard Boiled Cop's Avatar

On my old xbox, having copied music CDs work but nowI bought a new one because my old one was busted, it doesn't work at all. I then thought that he had something to do with my drive.
    Easy to pick up, hard to put down.

Originally posted by Viper87227

I don't have burning software, I use the good ole' copy paste burning....its fast as hell.
    are you just copying the music and then pasting it on the cd? Im not sure but I think that in order for the cd to play it has to be a special file, I dont think you can just copy and past mp3's or wmp's. Try to play the cd with a cd player or something to see if it works or try making the cd with windows media player

Jedi Master Shamshoon selowitch's Avatar

Would we all be better off simply connecting our Xboxes to a network? I assume that would make file transfers much easier, would it not?

so ur saying the drive only works with CD-RW's and not CD-R's? i think ill have to experiment today and see if i can get mine playing my CD-RW's.

Got it to work, I had to use Nero instead of the windows burning software

Release The First Skill Shadow20002's Avatar

I'm using Imation's CD and it's work great.
    Back into the world of gaming.

Jedi Master Shamshoon selowitch's Avatar

Anybody tried attaching an Xbox to a home network? Is this easy to do, or is it a pain? If it's just plug-n-play, I'll bet that would be a great way to get songs over to the hard drive.

Of course, it's far from clear that my AAC files in iTunes would work when played on an Xbox.

Thread Information